Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The deed is done

I did a dastardly deed yesterday and gave away our puppy. Poor Harv. He is away this week and couldn't even say good bye.

Harv left for northern Alberta on Wednesday and since then I have been saying "NO Copper!", "No nipping", "no jumping up on people", "no chewing shoes, electrical cords and hoses", "Come here Copper", "Go away Copper," cleaning up after Copper, checking out where Copper is and walking Copper.
On top of all that, I've had to be away from home the better part of at least 2 of those days, and needed to spend the rest of the week inside working in the house and office. Guilt was consuming me because I didn't have the time, the energy or the desire to spend with with a puppy who wanted nothing more than to play with me.

Harv wanted to keep him but I reminded my dearest husband, that I am a grandmother now, not a mom to toddlers and I just can't do this puppy thing again.
Plus, realistically, it just ain't gonna work. We love to travel - we do at least one motorcycle trip and numerous trips with the camper each summer. We go south and/or take a vacation each winter and go on business trips numerous times the rest of the year. We don't ever intend to take a dog with us so how can it work? Harv was sad but graciously understood and agreed - however his one condition to giving the dog away was that we can take him back for at least a day when the grandkids come. (That is my only regret - that the grandchildren would have loved him.)

Copper's new owners are fine with that. We gave him to Rick and Adele's friends who had fallen in love with him when they saw him right after Harv brought him home. They are very excited to have him - in fact they came for him the same day I told them they could have him.
I know puppy will be really happy there as his new owners are home all day and he'll have lots of attention and lots of space to play.

Now it's quiet in the house, the garage stays cleaned up and we can once again leave shoes by the back door. And I am very grateful for an understanding and compassionate husband who gave up his own druthers for me.
And that is the end of the Saga!

No comments: