Monday, January 14, 2008

About getting off the couch

I've been encouraged by my daughter Chris and by several good friends to start reading again. Oh don't get me wrong - I read all the time - actually I re-read alot of the time - old favourites - like watching a favourite movie again or listening to a favourite CD. No what I mean is to pick up some of those books that are challenging to read - books that are not just an escape into another place but books that stretch my thinking and help me to grow closer to God. Books that take me to another culture or life circumstance and get me thinking about who I am and how I live my life.

I've just finished "The Shack" by William P. Young which clarified some of my beliefs and challenged other ideas of Who God Is. It's not that I concur with everything the author says about God but instead I've had to think about how little I really understand about Him and His role in life here on earth. It is sending me back to the Bible to read for myself who God says He Is.

Thanks to the authors and to Chris and the others who regularly challenge me to get out of my intellectual easy chair.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Came across your profile while blog surfing the 100 other blogger fans of Steve Bell and recognized you from Chris's blog so popped in to see your site. Love your home, love your pics, love your thoughts, love your daughter :D Just finished reading her copy of The Shack last night and wow. Wow.

Maybe we'll get to meet someday.

Nichole

Bev K said...

Thanks Nichole. I was pretty sure no one read my blog other than my kids. My Hubby just got Steve Bell's The Symphony Project for his birthday. It's pretty nice.
Thanks for the comments - I've checked out your blog as well from Chris'. Bev