Sunday, February 21, 2010

Winter Gardening

The weather here in the lower mainland of BC has been so warm with unmistakable signs of spring in the yard that one can't resist a little early gardening. Because we'd been gallavanting in Europe in September and October, I didn't get the fall cleanup completed before the rains started so it was time to finish that.
Raking up the maple leaves and keys in the back flowerbed was imperative to make it possible for the young plant shoots to find the sun.
The beds looks much better now.
A fire to burn away all the debris. It smells so nice and makes it feel like spring.
Once the beds are cleaned up there are bright signs of spring everywhere.



The honeysuckle is coming out in leaves already - does it need to be pruned?
The irises and snowdrops make a nice showing in the late afternoon sunlight.

And yes, that daffodil has bloomed earlier than ever before. Plus there are a few potted primulas that need to be planted. If I do that, they may bloom once more.

The sun is setting and it's getting cold - a reminder that it is only February! It's still more than likely that we'll get a cold snap before Spring arrives in earnest. Here's hoping it doesn't get too cold or we may be losing a few of these early bloomers.

6 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

Bev, your flowers are amazing already. I also love the smell of a fire in spring. . it really makes it feel like it is time to work in the garden.
Your view of the mountains is magnificent. That is a great picture.

Judy said...

Isn't it amazing to see all the growth at this time of year? I'm on my way out! My garden is looking very neglected...and I'm too late to prune a few things that needed to be winter pruned.

Trish said...

Great photos Bev. I too neglected my fall cleaning but still...the tulips and crocuses have burst through the dead leaves...showing me they really want that warmth and sunlight we have all been experiencing!

charlotte mgcc said...

oh bev
i can only dream of this far away day, with hopes that it may come some day, but certainly not for a while.
your yard looks so nice.
is your header picture something you see from your home?
still freezing my butt off.......
however they do predict nicer days to come....ya right? =} i will believe it when i see it.

Bev K said...

Charlotte - my header picture is taken from the second floor of our house looking back towards the shop. Our place only becomes "lakeside property" when we have rain for days on end - which occurs fairly often in this part of Canada. the rest of the time it is just a grassy field.

Mrs. Mac said...

You have been blessed with 60 amazing years and a lovely family & home. I enjoyed seeing the Olympic pics as well. I'm a southern neighbor living in North Idaho. My husband and I love our visits to BC.

Have a blessed day.