Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January Blues

 

I heard that this past Monday was supposed to be the most depressing day of the year.  Did you find it that way?

DSC06394DSC06393

It was blue last week when I took these pictures.   I got up at 7 in the morning and the world was blue in the gloom of early morning and freshly fallen snow.

 

DSC04823

By the beginning of this week our yard looked just like this! 

It rained all week and as the snow disappeared our house became lakefront Property.

Our front and backyards were flooded and  the water was a foot deep on the driveway between the house and the shop.

 

So what do you do on those long January evenings to take your mind off the weather?

I did a jigsaw puzzle  and watched a couple of movies last week and

I completed an on line book using My Publisher software and sent it off while Harv figured out how to use a negative scanner he bought himself for Christmas.

Then we decided to tackle the HUGE job of organizing our pictures and scanning negatives into the computer.

DSC06469

Our dining room table was covered in pictures and negatives

 DSC06472

and we started the long process of scanning our negatives into the computer.  So far we’ve done the negatives from one year – 1974.

Thankfully most of our negatives are stored in chronological order, because many of our pictures are not.  Some are in albums, most aren’t.  You know how it is, you go looking for a pictures for someone’s school project, or a family wedding and then never put them back in their proper place.  So we have boxes and boxes of pictures that really need to be sorted through. 

Then there are old pictures found in a box that came from Harv’s Dad’s place.  These are amazing .  Although many of the pictures in that box are of people and places unknown to us, there are a few gems among them.

Here’s a few samples:

Hops Sept Oct 1939

Harv’s Dad in the Hop yards

img009

Dad with his horse, Star and his dog back in the Prairies and then this gem:

img118

The old Harrison Hot Springs pool.  The date on the back of this picture is 1939.

 

This whole picture thing will be an ongoing project – I don’t expect to complete it any year soon but each picture sorted, each negative scanned is progress.

The bonus is discovering pictures of times long past and, when going through family pictures, remembering the people and experiences that have enriched our lives.

 

I’d say it’s good medicine to get rid of those January blues.

12 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

A huge job. That picture of the old Harrison pool sure is interesting!

Kathy said...

What a great project to start in January. You do have some gems....I'm sure you are taking time to enjoy some of the se oldies as you go. Yesterday my MIL started the same thing with her friends at the club house. I have just begun to go through this year too....it is a huge job.

Lovella ♥ said...

I had no idea a negative scanner could be purchased. I don't have our old family negatives but I think my brother might.
I love the picture of the old harrison pool. What an amazing bit of history. I didn't even realize there was a pool already back then.
Learned something new here and it's only 6:30 in the morning. I'd say that's not bad for a January morning.

Betty said...

What a daunting task but such beautiful memories to savor! That should take care of those January blues.
I love old photos!

Peggy said...

What a great way to fill cold January - and relive some memories, even find new ones!

ellen b. said...

Wow...look at your yard all covered in water! I'm glad your house sits up a ways. Those old photos are just priceless. I can imagine it will take a while to sort through them, though! Very cool Bev...

Anneliese said...

For a number of years now, doing a photo album has been my project for January. I do not like January ...It does help to have a goal to complete.
A few years ago I got a scanner that also does slides .. so it's like you say.. one photo at a time is progress ... I will not be finished any time soon, but I'm happy about every sticky photo album that gets dismantled and every tray that gets scanned ... to combine the mamories, choosing what's memorable and discading what is not.
all the best... I see Harv takes this quite seriously with his gloves on. =)

Kathie said...

I didn't know that you could do that - with slides too. I have so many. I'll have to look for one.

I wanted to let you know about Henrietta's War - it was a delightful read of a lady letters to her childhood friend who was serving at the Front in WW2. I loved it. A very entertaining book that gives you an idea of how brave and resourceful they were at home. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

You've reminded me to pull out my jigsaw puzzle as soon as this bug leaves me. I enjoy doing that on a quiet winter evening!

Kathie said...

PS - wanted to add - I love your banner - the way the light falls on the little junco - so beautiful!

Marg said...

That is one large job...I feel like it is depressing just to think of it...but so worthwhile...I've tried a few different things...and now am mostly working with Shutterfly and got some projects done. I'd prefer skiing or walking outside...but this is a good time of year to reflect, and that can be depressing at times...but each day is a new day and I keep looking ahead,,,rather than behind....
I love that photos of Harrison...I remember going there as a very young child..it was a real outing.

Judy said...

I'm sure it is almost an overwhelming task...but what fun to have access to all those old photos! Great old pic's.

Julie said...

I love the little junko on your blog header.
We had a slide/negative scanner and it is a daunting task to get all the old pictures scanned.
Your old photos are wonderful.. the old Harrison Pool.. that is so interesting!