Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Desert Flowers

We've been back home for over a week now and I've just now had a few minutes to work on my blog. I thought I'd share a few highlights of our vacation with you.
Palm Springs lies in a dry valley between two mountain ranges. Wherever there is water, the land is covered in green lawns, majestic palm trees and every type of shrub and flower.
However in its natural state the whole area is a desert and as soon as you leave the irrigated towns and head up into the mountains, dry, rocky landscapes and cacti are the norm. But even in the desert, there are many flowers that brighten the driest, most barren landscapes. Sometimes you have to look close to find the delicate beauties but others bloom boldly and they are hard to miss. Unfortunately I don't know the names of most of them but here are a few we saw on a hike near 49 Palms.



I'm always amazed at the way God has created these plants to bloom where they are. Despite the scorching sun during the day, the contrasting cold at night and their barren location, devoid of water or noticeable nourishment, they bloom where they are and bring delight to those of us who are lucky to come upon them.

7 comments:

ellen b. said...

So far I don't see any photos Bev, so I'll check again.
Katie's Andrew is training at 29 Palms right now. See you tonight!

Bev K said...

Sorry Ellen - the collage showed up fine last night when I put my post together but was gone this morning. I'm still pretty unfamiliar with Picassa and am guessing all the way.

Kathy said...

The beauty of the desert! The cactus as so pretty in bloom....great photos.

Betty said...

I love desert flowers..they add a bright spot to an otherwise barren landscape. Brings the song to mind 'Bloom where you are planted for the Lord'.

Anneliese said...

Lovely pictures, Bev. Those desert flowers have their own kind of beauty!

ellen b. said...

Beautiful collage Bev. I'm glad to see the photo now! Thanks again for your wonderful hospitality! Love sitting around with you and Harv...

Julie said...

Thank you, Bev.. I love flowers blooming in harsh, unexpected places. I look at their untarnished beauty and pray that I will be like those flowers!