Monday, August 22, 2011

Family Reunion

DSC00586

Harv and I, my Dad and my sister and brother-in-law spent the last week in Ontario attending a family reunion.

My mom’s siblings, their spouses, my cousins and their families all gathered at Queenston Heights on Sunday to celebrate family.

It was sad not having my mom there but I like to think she and our grandparents were watching and pointing out all the new additions.

What a blessing it is to belong to a loving extended family like this one.  They have all played such a huge part in my life – supporting and encouraging me, praying for me and showing their love in countless ways.

Of the 6 Suderman siblings and their spouses only my mom was missing.  And about two thirds of my cousins were there, along with quite a number of their children.  I think we counted about 54 people in all.

We had wonderful food: German sausages, meatballs, salads and corn corn on the cob steamed to perfection by Uncle Elmer and his steam engine.

DSC08663    DSC08655 DSC00446

There were stories told, pictures shared, years and years of being apart to catch up on.

DSC00476   DSC00504  DSC00521

There have been many joys over the years and, like in all families,  difficulties along the way – divorce, death, cancer and debilitating illnesses but through it all the story of God’s faithfulness emerges  triumphant. 

My godly grandparents would be so happy to see how the faith they instilled in their children has been passed down to their grandchildren, great grandchildren and great, great grandchildren.

This time with family was the highlight of an event filled week – more of which I’ll share in later posts.

2 comments:

ellen b. said...

That is wonderful to have such a great spiritual heritage and to get together with so many of your extended family all in one place. I am intrigued by that steam machine! Very cool...
Looking forward to see your other adventures...

Julie said...

That is a huge blessing ! a big extended family celebrating together !!
That photo is proof of a wonderful heritage !