Thursday, May 14, 2009

Remembering my Mom


My Mom, Lydia Boldt (1925-2008)

This has been a week to remember my Mom. Of course, Mothers Day has just past - our first without my mom. Then, this coming Friday would have been her and Dad's 61st wedding anniversary and Saturday will mark the day she left us and was welcomed into her eternal home.

My wonderful neighbour dropped by on Mothers' Day with this lovely bouquet and a warm hug. Thank you Beatrice, you are always so thoughtful and sensitive to those who are hurting. Your friendship is so precious to me and your gift means more to me than I can express.
My Dad, sister and BIL and Harv and I will be spending the weekend together on Mayne Island.
How blessed I am to have a family who are so loving and supportive. We have always turned first to each other in times of trouble and in times of celebration. In a way this weekend will encompass both.
With her 2nd Great-grandson.

Dearest Mom -
We have missed you so much this past year. You would have been delighted with our newest Grandboy, you would be so thrilled with the way the other 4 are thriving- all healthy and happy and you would be so proud of the way your grandchildren are raising their families.
I miss our times together - enjoying a drive in the VW convertible, going shopping together, those special meals you made and served so that each of us felt like an honoured guest. I miss not being able to call you for cooking advice, or to share the latest bit of news.
Thank you for being such a great mom. You loved us unconditionally and supported us in all our endeavours. You modeled sacrifice and commitment and encouraged us in our walk with God.
I know you are enjoying all the delights of being with your Saviour and I look forward to the time when we are together once again.

Your loving daughter,
Bev


Mom and me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

She really would have enjoyed watching the family, and sharing in the everyday joys. Those firsts are hard to hurdle. The tears that flow once in a while are so healthy...a good sing in your case that the realtionship was sweet. I ran inot your neighbour this past week (the day after we had dinner with you and Harv) You have a great friend in her....and looks like she has a garden that is in spring bloom. Enjoy your weekend on Maine...say hi to E&J and your Dad. Kathy

Anneliese said...

Bev, I was struck with sadness when you shared at the dinner is PS how your Mom passed away so suddenly. And now I look at this week, Mother's Day and Anniversary . . . my heart goes out to you. So precious to have good memories and it behooves those of us who have our Mom to make sure we make it so.

Lovella ♥ said...

Bev, my heart goes out to you as well. I just think so often how blessed I am have had a wonderful mom. . and it hurts to miss her and yet. . like you, I feel so blessed.
I hope you have a good time of reflection and a good bit of feeling cared for this weekend. Mayne Island is so gorgeous, we used to spend time with friends there too when they had a cabin there. . I miss that too.

Judy said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom, Bev! May you have a most wonderful time with your family this weekend...as you share both the wonderful memories and the heartache.

Of course I got all choked up as I read this post...and thought of the many similarities with my mom. I would so have loved to share my grandbabies with my mom...but she never met even one. My parents' anniversary date is also coming up this month...they would have been celebrating their 60th this year.

Trish said...

Oh sweet Bev....how sad and how hard to go through this first Mother's Day. I know....I know too! Sigh. I must tell you that you look a lot like your mother and that is a beautiful shot of you together. She looks like she was such a dear sweet soul. God Bless Bev....how hard it is...the firsts of everything. Shortly after mom died this summer it was mom and dad's anniversary...similar then to your situation. It was so hard on Dad...would have been their 64th. AND it was the same day as her birthday...it would have been her 87th. Tho that was indeed hard to go through...I must say that Mother's day was the hardest...how I longed to just pick up the phone and call as I always did.... I do understand Bev. I am sorry I am reading this late but thanks for stopping by my way and giving me such words of encouragement. I think I slipped into the 'swamp' this past week....but I am climbing out ... I always climb out - grin!

Julie said...

Bev... I can only imagine the ache in your heart... Mother's Day and the 1st year anniversary of your Mother going home so close together... that has to be hard!
You do remind me to appreciate the fact that I still have both parents in good health!

I pray God comfort your heart! and may your memories keep your mother alive in your heart !

charlotte mgcc said...

i'm so sorry for your loss, and your heavy heart. i can only imagine what it must be like. i still have my mom and i need to cherish her more, there is not a doubt that she is worthy of that.
may the memories bring you joy and the Lord bring you comfort.

Islandsparrow said...

Oh Mother's Day is hard isn't it? I lost my mom 17 years ago and still miss her deeply. You wrote a beautiful tribute to your mom. It's a blessing to have such wonderful memories. Praying the Lord's deep comfort for you and your family.

Beverly said...

I came to your blog because of your name, mine is Beverly. I too miss my mother during this time....her death, Mother's Day, and her birthday. I understand how you miss your mom.