Thursday, June 25, 2009

Making Jam

Start with these beautiful berries.
Is there anything more alluring than
sweet local strawberries fresh from the field?
Wash and hull, slice and squish with your hands.
Pour into a big pot with some rhubarb and lots of sugar.

Stir and heat til it bubbles furiously, squeeze the pectin from the package and stir some more. Skim the pink froth off the top.
Pour into jars and screw the hot lids on.
Hear them snap as they cool.
Line them up on the windowsill and admire.
Open the jar and spread on fresh bread.
How satisfying is that!
This Strawberry Rhubarb Jam was made following the recipe on the Certo brand package of liquid pectin.

7 comments:

Trish said...

love the photos.... AND...oh yum...strawberry jam! Got to get those jars up to start the whole canning thing again. Last year was the first time for me and it started only with blackberry season. This year...I am a pro! HAA HAA

Chris said...

the jam looks tasty, Nana! I got a loose tooth again. We get to take gummy worms on our camping trip. We had pizza yesterday with Alexis and Holton and Mesa. I like to play with Holton, he's so funny... he says cowboy to his Dad alot. Today Mommy is taking me to the library to get my very own library card. I will put it in my wallet. Our baby bird disappeared. We hope a cat did not eat it. Love, KyLe

Bev K said...

Thank you for your comment Kyle. Wow what alot of things you are doing. I hope the baby bird flew away with it's mama. Have fun camping and fishing with Daddy this weekend.
I love you,
Nana

Anneliese said...

I left a comment here already, but just saw that it's not here. I just wanted to let you know the jelly is wonderful! Thank you!

Islandsparrow said...

Your jam on the windowsill is so pretty! I was blogging about berries today too. Ours are just starting to ripen. I'm planning to crush a lot and make some jam as well. There is nothing better on homemade bread!

Marg said...

I like how you dressed up your site.
Very attractive.
I love home-made jam, but have not started yet, maybe when my company leaves.

Anonymous said...

Your blog looks very pretty, Strawberry jam...makes me always think of fresh biscuits. Such a great duo. Isn't it a great feeling to have fresh jars of summers harvest starting to fill the pantry. Kathy