Sunday, November 22, 2009

Athens

What can I say about Athens? Well. . . it rained. Perhaps I should really say. . . IT RAINED!
This was the place where we had the least effective tour guide, partly because he spent more time telling us not to get lost, where to meet and how to find the group if we did get lost; and partly because his slurred manner of speaking and heavy accent made it very hard to understand anything he said. All while the rain was pouring down on us in a deluge and we got increasingly wetter and colder. He did give us some information about the city, the Acropolis and the Parthenon but I'm afraid it was overshadowed by what would happen if we mislaid "the tour group".

The Parthenon was impressive by it's sheer size! And the other Temple (the Erechtheum) and the huge number of ruins waiting to find a place in the Acropolis puzzle were amazing. Mind you by that time we had been set free from "the group" to explore on our own and the rain had stopped for a bit.
The view of the city from the Parthenon was impressive and we had the added bonus of having a dark sky and and bright rainbow against which to take our photographs.


Looking down at the amphitheatre.

You can see a bit of the rainbow in this picture. This portion of the Erechtheum is called the Porch of the Caryatids.
On the way back we had a different view from the bus window.
Did I mention that it rained?
Perhaps we'll go back to Athens someday and see more of the city. I know we only saw a small portion of it's sights and I know that spending more time here on warm, sunny day, would give us a much different perspective.
Next port - Ephesus.

6 comments:

Anneliese said...

Amazing craftsmanship! How did they do it?

Marg said...

What a lovely reminder. I'm so sorry that it rained for you...
But I have to agree...I got so lost up there in Athens Acropolis area with our tour quide...I finally got caught up again.
Looking forward to Ephesus.

Julie said...

Even with the rain hindering your shots .. they do not fail to show the grandeur and amazing architecture of the old city. To think-- if only the stones could talk!!

Islandsparrow said...

Roger and I were there many years ago - I was 21 and he was 24. It was springtime and the weather was beautiful. I have a picture of him "preaching" on Mars Hill. :)

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Visiting special places in the rain always makes it more real to me...I can picture everyday people long ago dealing with keeping dry just like I am.

In fact...my favorite travels are during rain, snow, and extreme weather!

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.