Sunday, January 17, 2010

Overwhelmed


Are you feeling as overwhelmed as I am this week?

Hearing over and over again of the devastation in Haiti I am sick at heart and
as I see pictures in the media of the immensity of pain, loss and chaos the people there are going through, I can do nothing but weep and pray.
How often during my day do I complain over some small thing that's upset my comfort zone?
I have to repent and remind myself again of all I have here in North America and how often I take our peace, stability and wealth so for granted.

I don't understand why such a poor country as Haiti has been the victim of hurricanes, excruciating poverty and government corruption and upheaval all these years and has now been hit once again, this time with an earthquake of horrific proportions.

I just have no answers for why this has happened or what God hopes to
accomplish through this.
I do know that because I love God and desire to serve Him,
I will contribute to the relief effort by giving what I can and
by praying earnestly for those who are suffering as well as
for those who are called to physically help the Haitian people.

What I am sure of is that God has far more love and compassion for these hurting people than we can ever hope to have.
I am trusting that in the end we will see the other side of these painful and confusing events;
the complete picture as God sees it and
we will find that there is a pattern of undescribable beauty and grace.

5 comments:

Marg said...

My heart is hearing exactly what you said, So what does this all mean to us...
We can give money and aid...but we feel so awe struck inside of ourselves...I'd like to physically go and help and yet there is no infrastructure to move aid at this point.
I think it's a good reminder for us to remain humble and walk the talk where ever we are.

Trish said...

It surely is an overwhelming feeling to be sure...one of helplessness too. I see the 'post' and link on MGCC....that is a great start in helping out...you women are great!

Anonymous said...

Over coffee with my sister and her family yesterdy, I said too, what is God's plan in all this, for Haiti?! Those people don't deserve all this. Dairymary

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

It rains on both the just and the unjust...and that is all I know. I also know that God has a way of what was intended as evil for good. Perhaps this is the beginning of a new season for Haiti, as churchs are delivering much care and prayer.

I heard a speaker point out that as horrible as the Holocaust was, it resulted in returning Jews back to their land. God using what was intended as evil for good.

charlotte mgcc said...

My heart is hearing yours, and I too just can't understand all the suffering. Someday, when it won't matter anymore, we will know what God is doing.....so I want to trust that.