Monday, March 8, 2010

A Day with the grandkids

I spent 2 days and nights in Seattle this week visiting our grandkids. Harv was in Ontario on a sales call for the week so when I was invited to a "Grandparents Day" at granddaughter E's preschool I gladly packed up and drove down. I went planning to spend some one on one time with each of the 3 grandkids and I'm so glad I did.
Unfortunately I forgot my camera at home so I have to use these pictures from my files instead.

E's teacher had a few activities for the grandparents to participate in and then we got to watch as Mrs. S. went through her lessons with the children. The topic for the day was road signs and community helpers. She showed the children all the road signs and had the kids say what they meant and then went on to talk about community helpers. She held up pictures of a doctor, a dentist, a policeman, fire fighter, teacher etc. and they talked about how they all helped the community. Then she went around the circle and asked each child what they wanted to be when they grew up.
"A Firefighter", piped up one little girl, "
a policeman", said another and so it went around the circle.
Then she asked E what she wanted to be when she grew up. "A Princess" she stated, very matter of factly.
After preschool was over she and I went for lunch. We talked about what they'd done in school and I thought I 'd ask her again what she wanted to be when she grew up. the answer was the same "A Princess!"
"So," I said, "What do you have to do to become a princess?"

"Grow your hair long." She sounded surprised that I would have to ask.

"What does a princess do?", I asked

"Comb her hair."

"Does she do anything else?"

"Brush her teeth."

"Does she help anyone or do anything else?"


"She is nice to knights!"

Now that is a princess who knows her job!



After I took her home, it was Granboy N.'s time to spend with Nana. We went to Baskin and Robbins where he had a chocolate cone and I had peanut butter cup ice cream. After that we drove down to Edmonds Marina Park where N and I counted 25 starfish, mostly bright orange ones and blue ones and 10 crabs plus a Blue Heron and numerous sea birds of different varieties. Fortunately for us a kind man let us into the locked gate leading down to the marina itself and we were able to look at all the boats moored there, peering into windows and sharing our favourites. We also walked along the beach until Nana got cold.


Later I spent some fun time with Baby B. ( almost 1 1/2 now) reading and playing cars. With his shy smile, his wonderful conversation (unfortunately not yet interpretable!) and his infectious giggle, he is a delight to this Nana's heart.

His sweet wave when it was time to say goodbye, is enough to melt my heart into a puddle.

I was also able to attend a Bible class with our son and his wife at church in the evening and I was encouraged again by the excellent Bible teaching they are receiving and their dedication to walking God's path for them. It was a wonderful time with them all and I'll do it again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bev, how precious that is - to spend time with your grandchildren, and their parents! Those little ones are so cute. Dairymary

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post today. What precious children. I loved the princess talk. Almost like Bill Cosby when he has a panel of kids. So very cute and also interesting how their little minds think and then what they say. Time worth spent! Good thing you have taken tons of photos that you could use. I have forgotten my camera at times too. Kathy (MGCC)

Anneliese said...

I love the princess story! Your youngest there looks so much like his grampa.

Peggy said...

Such precious, precious times - glad you share them with us, how wonderful to make those memories for the little ones (and you, too)

charlotte mgcc said...

what a cute princess she is......that is great that you documented that story...to tell at her wedding.....;-)
your g'boys are handsome princes as well!