Monday, March 15, 2010

A milestone year.

Yes, the time has come -

I'm starting another decade today.

I remember praying as a teenager:

"Lord let me live long enough to get married"

Later, the prayer was amended to "let me be able to have children"

and after that "Lord, I'd really like to have the chance to be a grandma."

Now I've reached that age that many women dread - 60.
My hair is grey - which still surprises me on occasion.
I get aches and pains far more frequently than ever before
and signs of aging are becoming more and more apparent.
I just don't know how I got to this milestone so quickly.

Here I am,1 year old and grinning

My younger sister, Janet and I so proud of our brand new baby buggies

I think this picture says 1964 so I was just entering high school

My school picture from Gr. 13

Well God has answered all those prayers and so many more over the years.
I 've been married for 38 years to my very best friend,
I have 3 great kids and they are all married, each to a terrific spouse.
I'm a grandma now - to 5 amazing grandchildren.

This picture was taken shortly after we got married in 1971 (love that dress!)

It's been an awesome trip though and I wouldn't give up a single year.
(well maybe some of those awkward teen years).
I have an amazing family, wonderful friends, and have been able to do all kinds of things I'd never have dreamed of as a child or even as a young woman.

This picture is probably from 1981
I've travelled to places I'd never dreamed I'd go - Belize, Honduras, Australia, Germany, Italy and Denmark to name just a few. We've also traveled all over North America from north to south, east to west. I've traveled by car, train, boat, plane, kayak, (Yes, believe it or not!) and motorcycle, I've enjoyed fishing trips, snorkeling, cruising, gardening, entertaining and more.

God has been faithful throughout all these years.

There have been many ups and downs - times of laughter and prosperity and times of tears and adversity but God has walked alongside me all the way and will not leave me.


Here we are with the grandkids this past Christmas.

We are in Palm Springs as you are reading this.

We'll be spending 2 weeks here with good friends, enjoying the sun and a time of relaxation.
I'll be back blogging when we get home.



As several of my friends have done, I plan to celebrate all year.

After all being 60 only comes once.So here's to the next year and all it brings.

May my days and years bring glory to God.

13 comments:

Chris said...

Happy Birthday, Mom! I don't know if I've seen some of those pictures before! We'll be thinking of you all the day long. <3

Peggy said...

Happy, happy birthday Bev - may it be a stellar year for you!!!

Lovella ♥ said...

Happy Birthday Bev .. .what a fantastic milestone. It was wonderful to see the pictures of you growing up and then of you as a newly married woman and as a young mom.
May you have the most wonderful day with your friends and may God grant you continued health and strength each day.
I often feel like we've all just started ..we have much to do yet.

charlotte mgcc said...

Let me be the first....well on your blog anyway.
to wish you a very special and happy year.....since you will be celebrating all year!
May God grant you great health, joy, peace and contentment in and throughout your whole life!!

Anneliese said...

Happy Birthday, Bev!!! I enjoyed the pictures! Especially the one of you newly wed! What a milestone and so much to be thankful for. LIFE in all its fulness... pain and joy ... knowing the One who calls us is loving and faithful.
Blessings on your sixties!!! You look great!

Marg said...

What a wonderful post...and what a tribute to your faith...WOW!
When I look back...we met each other at Camp Stillwood way back in the 60'? It's along time...but meanwhile we have reacquainted here and there...and watched our kids go to school together.
It's amazing when we look back, how God has blessed you and your family.
May you have a wonderful year and may the sun continue to shine on you.
Happy Birthday Bev!

irene said...

Happy birthday, Bev. You are celebratibg a milestone. As your sil I've been along side you for these last 38 yrs. anyway. I thank you for being a great sister and friend all these years . We have experienced many good and sad times together and I know many times either one of us has said, "Isn't it great to have family that gets along thru the easy and not so easy times. I thank the Lord for you. So sorry that this year we can't be there at the same time but as you say, you can celebrate all year so we will have our special time together and we may even invite those two brothers along!!

Betty said...

I love that Bev..a great tribute to yourself and why not..who knows us better than ourselves.
Happy Birthday and enjoy this decade..really it's no different than the last, maybe just a few more aches:)
You are indeed blessed to have had such a good life and you have been a blessing to others! You are such an encouragement to me.
Have fun on your vacation and..
'Bring on the sixties'
Love and hugs

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday bev....darling post! Life is so interesting. You are my beautiful friend...inside and out. I'm proud to call you my friend.
You have so often blessed me with a call...just at the right time. A card you carefully made, with just the right scripture verse, poem or funny saying. You have shown up my door step with a hug, a smile, a meal, or an invitation to join you spur of the moment. You are a friend that is inclusive of others, accepting people as they are. That is the beauty of Christ in you.
Wishing we were there to celebrate with you tonight. I can feel the warmth in the last picture. Enjoy today and the whole year through. We will be celebrating when you return. Hugs Kathy (MGCC)

Judy said...

What a great post, Bev...on this milestone birthday! I love the pictures...and the walk down memory lane. May you have a wonderful birthday...a fabulous time in Palm Springs...and many blessings in the journey ahead!

Chris said...

http://myworldofboys.blogspot.com/2010/03/sweet-six-something.html

There's a video to go with it, but I can't seem to load it on blogger. If you know Bev on facebook, you can check out who's sending their love on her profile page.

ellen b said...

I'm right behind you Bev! I turn 60 next March. How great that you could get away to Palm Springs. Enjoy....

Julie said...

I love this post, Bev! I so enjoyed your photos!!
Your last line... "may my days and years bring glory to God" -- I think they have Bev!!
If the Lord tarries I wish you another 60 as happy/productive as your first ! smile