Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sister Time

My sister and I got away this weekend for some long overdue "sister time".
I only have one sister so I'm especially blessed that she and I are also good friends.

I turned 60 earlier this year so when we talked about taking a couple of days together she told me she would treat me to an overnight stay at the Village Inn in Fairhaven Washington.

Fairhaven was a town site established by "Dirty Dan Harris" in 1883. The town grew and prospered on the anticipation that the Great Northern Railway would establish a terminal there. However the railway decided to locate in Seattle and the town went into a period of depression. Many people moved away and buildings were left unfinished. In 1888 it amalgamated with the small mill community of Bellingham and slowly established itself as a thriving community.

Today it boasts many locally owned shops and restaurants and is very proud of its small town appeal.


The Fairhaven Village Inn is a lovely heritage building right across from the Village Green and central to all the shops and restaurants. When we arrived we had a great soup and sandwich at a local bakery and then the walking trail along Boulevard Park lured us and we spent several hours walking along the water.



On the way back to our hotel, we stopped to admire the yard art and I thought of Ellen from http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/ as I took this picture.

The flower beds in that yard were in full bloom with a variety of Dahlias in brilliant colour. The perfection of each petal and the amazing complexity of patterns fascinated us and I spent some time taking pictures.

Aren't they incredible?





Later we sat outside a cafe and enjoyed a lemonade, went back to our lovely room to read for awhile and then went out to browse a few of the shops. There were a couple of wonderful toy shops where we found some unique gifts for our grandkids, a kitchen shop (always my favourite) and several art galleries. It was so nice that we could walk everywhere we wanted to go.It was also wonderful to have no agenda or time schedule pushing us.


Dinner was at "Dirty Dan's" - I had some amazing Dungeness Crab stuffed Prawns and Janet had a lovely fettucini dish.
We then spent a very happy 2 hours among the "stacks" at the Village Book Store.

A bonus was the beautiful weather we enjoyed. The forecast had been for heavy rain both days and we were fortunate that it was wrong! In fact we had no rain at all and it was warm enough on the way home to put the top down on Janet's Toyota Solare.
We stopped at Bellis Fair on the way home to do some clothes shopping, and then had a jolt at the Border because we'd bought more than the allowed amount (my fault - I should have checked) Fortunately we had a compassionate customs clerk who mitigated the damage and we were home in time for supper.
We both promised to treat ourselves this way again - soom.

Thank you Janet for an awesome couple of days.

9 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

OH such fantastic fun .. .I can see how much fun a sister must be. OH but you got snagged at the border? I didn't even know they still made you pay ..you must have done some pretty good shopping.
I'm glad you had such a good time.

Anonymous said...

i really miss not having a sister :(
sounds like you had a wonderful time!
charlotte mgcc

ellen b. said...

Oh thanks so much for taking a photo of the great yard art! :0)
I'm glad you had such a good time with your sister. I'll have to remember this Inn. I think I need to drum up something to do with my sisters for my 60th next year! :0)
Blessings!

Betty said...

What a wonderful time Bev. I have only one sister and it's time we have a special outing!

Judy said...

What a fun sister outing! And now you have me inspired to visit Fairhaven...how is it that I have never been there?

Islandsparrow said...

Glad you had such a lovely time together! I had a lot of sister fun this summer with my older sister too. She turns 60 next June - I'll have to think of a special b-day treat for her too - one that includes me of course :)

Anneliese said...

So happy for you and your sister... I will have to do that with my sister sometime.

Marg said...

That's always an encouragement to see how others spend sister time together. Looks like fun and I loved that car of yours.

Janet said...

Hey sis. What a lovely rendition of our time together! Thank you!!!! Shall we do it again tomorrow???? I Wish!