Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Eating Cake

Coconut cake 3

While at my Daughter’s last week I read a library book she had checked out called “Eat Cake” by Jeanne Ray.

It’s a novel about a woman living with aging parents, a teenaged daughter and a husband who’s just lost his job.  She finds her peace and security in the baking of cakes which plays a large part in helping her to cope with the crises that come her way.

I’d like to quote one of the paragraphs that struck me, however I don’t want to be guilty of pirating copyrighted material so I will try to paraphrase what Jeanne Ray said.

Basically she comments that Cakes have gotten a bad reputation and that those who can turn down a piece of cake seem to be more virtuous than those of us who accept the cake and enjoy it.  She goes on to say that the person who passed on the cake isn’t really a person with more discipline than the rest of us but is someone who has “lost touch with Joy”.  Afterall, we don’t eat the whole cake and one piece of cake never made anyone fat .  Cakes are served on happy days; birthdays, weddings, and baby showers – they are celebratory and they make you feel safe and that all is right with the world.

She says it much better than I do on Page 2 and 3 of the book.  But don’t you agree with the jist of it?

There is something wonderful about a beautifully baked cake.  This book is well worth a read.  I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I did.

6 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

I make a coconut cake and boy is it ever good!

Peggy said...

Sounds like a good book - with a great outlook on life - now if only I could stop at 'just one piece'!!! LOL

ellen b. said...

I like that. There are some ideas out there that are just joy robbers!
That is one pretty cake!

Anneliese said...

Good thoughts there! I agree!

Jennifer said...

Good "food for thought" Bev. Our culture has certainly become obsessed with being skinny - skinny, not even just thin! We all have such different body types, like temperments. It is so sad we all feel pressure to fit the societal "ideal". Food is so important in life - for nourishment, fellowship and celebration. We are to be looking forward to the marriage SUPPER of the Lamb! I guess we always need to balance it with gluttony too.

Is is pirating if you give the author proper credit? I am wondering about this as I post quotes all the time!

Betty said...

The author is right on that one..we usually only eat one piece and not the whole cake. Then there are times..I eat a bit more:)
Your cake is beautiful and is meant to be consumed:)