Tuesday, December 7, 2010

It's December and...

It's December .. is it already the 7th? ... and there are still few signs of Christmas at our house. On the other hand things are happening here. Our home renovations are actually happening and with luck our dining room addition will be finished by the end of the week.

So... I've been dusting and cleaning and dusting and cleaning again. A crew of drywallers came to put up the sheets of dry wall and used a ROUTER!! of all things to cut it to size and didn't bother to put up any poly to protect my existing dining room so everything was covered in a 1/4" of dry wall dust. I think it took me 3 hours to wipe and then wash everything down. The fellow who did the taping and mudding won my heart when he tightly wrapped the dining room off from the addition and also draped poly over my living room furniture before he started sanding. Then Harv did the painting and yesterday the flooring guys were here to install the hardwood floor. So... more dust - this time sawdust - not near as thick and a bit easier to clean up.

Hopefully our finish carpenter friend will be by tomorrow or Thursday to finish the window trim, baseboards and crown molding. Then the dirty work will be done and we can finally start to put up a touch of Christmas.

I have mixed my Pfeffernuesse (tiny nutlike cookies called Peppernuts) and my niece, Monica and I will roll, cut and bake them tonight. There is also a rapidly growing pile of packages and bags on the bed in the extra bedroom ready to be wrapped and sent to the grandkids. So we are remembering that Christmas is coming and although the house may not be decorated, I am preparing my heart for this wonderful season.

It is the "away" year for our family this Christmas when our kids spend Christmas Day with their in laws so it's not as crucial to have the house completely decked out for which I am very thankful. With all that's been going on at our house this year, that would seem an overwhelming task. I'll post a few before and after photos as soon as it's done.

I hope you are all preparing for Christmas - not only the tree, the decorations, gifts and baking but more importantly that your hearts are ready for the advent of Christ's coming.

6 comments:

ellen b. said...

Have had lots of experience with dry wall dust and it's the worst for sure. I'm glad things are moving along and you are looking forward to an end...
Everything is decorated, cards are mailed. All I need to do is get a few more gifts...nothing major.

Chris said...

My pail of peppernuts is half gone already! I fear another batch will need to quickly be set on the shelf.

Lovella ♥ said...

oh it is good to know that you are almost past the worst of the mess . .and Christmas will be here whether there is any dust left or not. The main thing is that you have the important part ready . .yoru heart.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Maybe you should sneak with your kids to their in-laws for the holidays?

We will be having some minor messy remodeling done next week and happily will be living in our nearby time share for the week.

I've cleaned up enough construction mess to last a life time,why don't they consistently get the value of wrapping and draping before they make a mess?

Anneliese said...

Hope the final stage goes quick. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures!

Judy said...

This too shall pass...the dust & the mess!

Enjoy the peppernuts...and the gift wrapping...and all the other Christmas preparations.