Wednesday, March 4, 2009

ABC Books


I've just finished a project I've been working on for quite a awhile and thought some of you might like to see what I've been doing.

Here is the first page of 2 "ABC" books.

I got the idea from a friend of mine and as I don't knit or sew, I thought this would be something special I could do for my grandkids. So I made a book for Grandboy E several years ago.

Of course that set a precedent and now I am committed to making one for each grandchild. Grandboys N and K have birthdays one month apart
- Feb. 29th and Apr. 1st.

Grandboy N got his this past weekend and the book for Grandboy K was just finished this past week. I'll put it in the mail very soon.

Here's the idea behind an ABC book. I collect pictures of the child in which a letter of the alphabet is featured. (Mom and Dad are asked to help with this.)

I print multiple pictures on one sheet using my Digital Image Suite program so I can make the pictures the size I want and then I cut, mat a few of the pictures and paste, adding stickers and small drawings featuring words using that letter.

Here are a couple of pages from N's book.





I put them all into a 7x7 inch Creative Memories album (unfortunately they don't carry this size any more) and cover each page with a page protector. Then on the last page I print up the ABC song.

It is a lot of work, but lots of fun too. Hopefully they will enjoy "reading" it now and later will find that it triggers happy memories of their childhood.

9 comments:

Judy said...

What a great idea...and what a wonderful job you did! Those are treasures...for sure.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful book, I think that I would love to make one for my first granddaughter. Did you have a pattern or are they all pictures of your grand kids?

alvina

Bev K said...

I try to make sure that most of the pictures have the grandboy whose book it is in them. Of course, their siblings, cousins,etc. make appearances as well. (cousin Evan on the E page, Aunt Adele on the A page) but the idea is to have them see themselves in relation to the lettered item. Eating an APPLE, RUNNING, holding a PAIL etc.

Betty said...

Bev..those are wonderful books that your g'children will treasure always.

Peggy said...

Bev - these are wonderful - knitting and sewing don't hold a candle to an artist's creation from her mind, not from a pattern!! These are sure to be treasured by the parents as well as the children. Peg

Trish said...

Hey Bev, those are amazing. I am going to forward this little post to my sister and sister-in-law. Great ideas for gifts! You did an awesome job!

charlotte mgcc said...

my goodness, a lot of thought and effort went into these books.
they will be treasured for ever.
what a good idea! GOOD WORK OMA!

Marg said...

Great ideas. We don't all have to knit or sew...it's fun to find our nitch and be so creative in our final touches.
I'm working on a Shutterfly album..
As you said, "It all takes time."

Anneliese said...

I love your idea! Last year I made up photo album keepsakes (for two of our grands) of dates and pictures of time they spent at our house while on furlough. It is such a fun way for them to remember special times spent together. I also have grandchildren born on Feb 29 and April 1st!!