Sunday, July 17, 2011

Book Signing Trip to Waterloo

As many of you know, I’m one of the 10 “Mennonite Girls Can Cook” cookbook authors.  Charlotte was asked by Mennonite Media to represent us all at  the Canadian Mennonite Assembly in Waterloo at the beginning of July.

She invited any of us who could make it to go with her.  My high school friend, Ester lives in neighbouring Kitchener and I was delighted to be able to accompany Charlotte in representing our cookbook and to visit with my old friend at the same time.

The Assembly was held at the campus of the University of Waterloo and after visiting with Ester in her home on Sunday evening, she took me to the residence which became our home away from home for the week.

DSC08188

She works for the Eastern Conference of Mennonites and so we met several times over the course of the assembly.  What a treat that was for me.

DSC08187a

We signed books at the Menno Media  book table several times between sessions for the first few days.

On Wednesday, Kathy, who runs the Mennonite Publishing Network warehouse took Charlotte and me on a tour of the warehouse.  It was quite something to see our cookbooks on the shelves.  She had recently had an order for 1000 books from  the “10 Thousand Villages “ warehouse and was excited to see our book selling so well.

DSC08206  

DSC08208   DSC08213

DSC08211DSC08210

After leaving the warehouse, she drove us to Words Worth Bookstore in Waterloo where they were featuring our cookbooks in a unique window display.

We signed a few books there before leaving for an afternoon of sightseeing.  (more on that in a later post)

DSC08216

Our last official task was to sign books at the Ladies Luncheon on Friday.  Kathy was asked to say a few words about the “Mennonite Girls Can Cook” blog and cook book to the ladies. 

We sold all the books Kathy brought and were delighted at the positive response of everyone we met.  Later we heard that our cookbook is Menno Media’s highest selling book.

As our royalties are being donated to a children’s shelter in the Ukraine, we were delighted to hear how well it is selling.

DSC08402DSC08410

 

It was a wonderful experience and I was so privileged to be able to share this with Charlotte.  A huge bonus was that Charlotte and I had lots of time to build on the friendship that our collaboration in the blog and cookbook had begun.

Thanks, Charlotte for inviting me to join you – I loved our time together and am so glad you are my friend.

14 comments:

Judy said...

I'm so glad you posted some photos of your 'book-signing' in Waterloo. Now we have some faces to go with the names and voices. I have spoken with Kathy on the phone several times...so it was nice to 'meet'. It sounds like a great experience! Thanks for representing all of us.

Lovella ♥ said...

I so enjoyed seeing the pictures of your time in Waterloo. Thanks for giving us a peek into your week. The warehouse. .your signing with Charlotte and Kathy too. All of it so fun to see.

ellen b. said...

Wonderful recap of your time Bev. Loved seeing all the photos!

Anneliese said...

Thank you for sharing your time with us with pictures! I'm so glad you could go . . . it sounds and looks like a lot of fun! So rewarding to see the finished work going well!

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

The entire cooking menno girls adventure continues to provide such fun opportunities for all of you. Glad the book continues to sell so well!

charlotte mgcc said...

ah yes, all but a memory now, but a good one at that. i will cherish that time. getting to know you better, meeting kathy, mike ron and russ......representing my church and learning more about my faith and what it means to me... and then the book.....it is just the beginning for us all....

Trish said...

Oh what a marvelous time you had...and again, so proud of all you gals have accomplished.

leafcutter said...

Hi Bev, I was so excited to go to the McNally bookstore in Winnipeg today and pick up your cookbook and then to my surprise, I said to Ed, this 'Bev' is Harvey's wife. Congratulations on your great success! My daughters and I have loved creating good food from your collection. It was great to see your success with the on line recipes and with the cookbook. Ed and I also loved being reminded of our past friendship with you guys! Marilyn Nikkel

Rosella said...

Oh dear - I'm so sad that I missed this event! I work at Conrad Grebel University College (right on the doorstep of the conference) and had no idea you ladies were there. I would have brought my book to get your signatures for sure! As soon as MPH had your books in stock I went there to purchase a few - hot off the press so to speak - and I just love it. Keep up the good work and maybe someday I'll meet some of you wonderful ladies.

Rosella said...

I am so very sad that I missed this event! I work right there at the college (Conrad Grebel) and didn't realize that you ladies were at the conference with your book display - sigh! I heard good things about your display and am glad to hear you had a good experience. I LOVE my copy of the cookbook and have given several away as gifts. Perhaps some day I will be lucky enough to meet you ladies as I feel like I know you already :). Some of your recipes are already our family's favourites.

Kathy said...

Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your time in Waterloo. Looks and sounds like you had a wonderful week. The rest of us girls at home looked forward to this post!

Kathie said...

What a fun trip!! Love how the bookstore dressed their window in your honour!

Betty said...

Fun times..happy you girls had this opportunity. Loved seeing the photos.

Kathy S said...

It was so much fun getting to know you and Charlotte! Your pictures are amazing! I love the one with your grandbaby wearing the bonnet! Come back and visit any time!