Saturday, July 30, 2011

Canning Cherries

I canned cherries last week, something I haven't done for a few years.
The cherries were so beautiful I had to grab my camera.

These light coloured cherries are called 'Queen Anne'. In Washington State they are known as 'Ranier'. At their best they are sweet and firm in texture. They are a favourite of mine.

I also canned some sweet cherries. I didn't find out what variety they were
but they were a rich, deep red colour and sweet to the taste.

We enjoy eating them out of the jar but I also love to make 'Plumamoos' with them, or 'Kirschenmoos" If you don't know this cold fruit soup, check the recipe out at our 'Mennonite Girls Can Cook blog. It's in the Mennonite foods category. It's always eaten with Ham at Easter and often served at 'Vaspa' (Sunday supper) with zwiebach and cold meat.
When the canning process is finished, I get such a feeling of satisfaction - a job well done, and my own canned cherries on the basement shelf. They'll be there for those gloomy winter days when I want a taste of summer.

3 comments:

ellen b. said...

That is a job well done Bev! We love Rainier cherries, too. We like Bing, also. "It was in 1952 when Harold Fogle, who directed the cherry-breeding program at the Washington State University, was successful in crossing a Bing with a Van cherry, two very sweet-red varieties. A tasty result, Rainier cherries were released for the marketplace in 1960. The mother tree is said to still live on a plot at the Washington State University."

Bev K said...

Thanks for the background on those cherries, Ellen. The Queen Annes are pretty hard to get here in BC so when I saw them at our local produce market I nabbed them.

Marg said...

There is nothing like home-canned cherries...Enjoy them..I remember those Queen Annes from way back.