Friday, July 22, 2011

Waterloo, Mennonite Country

While In Waterloo, our hostess, Kathy took us for a drive one afternoon to see the surrounding countryside.

There are numerous groups of Old Mennonites who live in the area.  Some are readily identified by their conservative clothing, the horse and buggies they drive instead of cars and the lack of electricity in their homes.

This is the oldest church, or Meeting House in the area and in its adjacent cemetery, there are headstones that date from the 1700’s to the 1900’s.

The Mennonites in this area emigrated from Switzerland in the 1700’s  and settled alongside the 6 Nations Native Indians along the river.  They cleared the land, establishing large successful farms.

Jul 3-8 Waterloo

This Meeting House has hitching posts instead of a parking lot.  It is located side by side with a Conference Mennonite Church who’s members’ cars fill its parking lot.

Kathy said that on Sunday mornings the horse and buggies alongside the cars make for an interesting contrast.

    DSC08248   DSC08251

The Mennonite Farms are all kept so neat and tidy and most have large, beautifully kept gardens with rows of flowers planted alongside the thriving vegetables.

                DSC08282   DSC08320

As we drove through the towns and past farms we felt we had gone back in time.

Jul 3-8 Waterloo1  

We stopped at the Wallenstein General Store and did a bit of browsing.

Jul 3-8 Waterloo2

It was tempting to help myself to a handful of these gorgeous cherries but I resisted.

Jul 3-8 Waterloo3

The store shelves offered merchandise not available in our local stores.  Rows upon rows of shiny black shoes and boots with the toes all neatly pointing outwards, and a choice between blue and black suspenders.The fabrics on offer where cotton in plain colours or tiny flowered prints.  Blues and purples where the favoured colours.  There were also a few varieties of hats lined up on the shelves and I found  a straw one for my son. 

As families debated their purchases, and barefoot children studied the toys, I came upon something too cute to leave there.

DSC08311DSC08316

These bonnets, smocked, beribboned and tucked were the perfect purchase for our tiny granddaughter.

Bonnets desktop

Stay tuned for one more post on this wonderful Ontario region.

11 comments:

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I can hardly wait for your next intallment! Loving this adventure...

Marg said...

Oh Bev, this has been a highlight to read about your experience...What a wonderful tribute you have given you Kathy and Char and your visit in Ontario. Many wonderful people with many servant hearts fulfilling the needs of community. We can never give up the heart for community.
The best part was your little granddaughter with her bonnet. That will truly be a reflection of your heart for years to come.

Betty said...

Thank you Bev..makes me want to go back there.

Anneliese said...

I loved reading this post, Bev! Thank you! I look forward to visiting there soon!
Your little granddaughter is so very sweet!

charlotte mgcc said...

your little doll looks so sweet in those bonnets.
i look at the pictures and they really do reflect a peaceful and simpler lifestyle. thank you for posting this bev

ellen b. said...

Beautiful post and photos Bev! So glad you had the chance to go and explore a little, too.

Trish said...

wow....I really must go some time. Such great photos and descriptions; I felt like I got to visit too.

Judy said...

Thanks for taking us on the inside tour. Great post!

I love the photo of your grandgirlie in her sweet bonnet.

Lovella ♥ said...

I can't wait to see it for myself. The last time we went down that road ..there was a blizzard on a Sunday and it did not deter the horses and buggies one bit.

Kris Johnston said...

I've been following the Mennonite Girls Can cook blog for about 2 weeks now. I was so glad to find this post. I'm a Mennonite girl from Waterloo county, and all my family still live in the area. I left for college, married an American, and now live far away from home. It was wonderful to see home through your eyes. Since I'm feeling a little homesick from your pictures, I think I need to go call my mom! Thanks for sharing.

Kathy said...

Thanks for the peek into your time in Waterloo. Your photos have me dreaming of a trip to that part of our country.