Monday, February 9, 2009

Recommended Reading


My Daughter in Saskatchewan phoned me today with a book recommendation. She said she thought it one of the best books she's read and thought I would love it. So I checked the library here in town and found that there were 115 holds on 26 copies! I couldn't get it when I wanted it (NOW), so I went out and bought it.
I'm half way through and am finding that Chris was right - I love it.
It's engaging, funny and very well written. The title is
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"
and it is written by Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece, Annie Barrow. (That's kind of neat in itself, isn't it; to see an aunt and her niece do a book together?)

The novel takes the form of letters written between members of the society and a writer in London and is written about the Nazi occupation of the British Island of Guernsey.

It's delightful - I highly recommend it. Beg, Borrow or Buy yourself a copy, pour yourself a cup of tea and enjoy it as much as Chris and I have.

4 comments:

Islandsparrow said...

I was able to get a copy from the library - only had to wait for 7 people. I have a little trick. If you really want a book then order the large-print edition. There's never as many waiting for it! And, at my age, I like the larger print!

charlotte mgcc said...

that does sound like a good read. i may have to check it out.
you have the cutest grandchildren. they look like they would be worth the trip!

Trish said...

Hey...thanks for the book review. I think I'll try it!

a woman who is said...

Not sure how I got here =/ but what a fun blog. I enjoyed looking around. I loved the photo book idea. I don't ever get to the scrap books so this will work for me.

Your the second recommendation I have had on this book. I will go track it down.