Sunday, January 18, 2009

Celebrating 60 years.

My wonderful Husband turned 60 last week. I can hardly believe that the years have passed so quickly. I threw an open house for him today and 55 of our friends and family blessed us with their presence. Here is Harv as a young boy (we're guessing he is around 12) posing with his good friend Timber.
(They bear a striking resemblance to our youngest son and his dog, Doug.)
This party was fun - everyone came and stayed - the house was full and it was so nice to visit with everyone.














I got teased when I said I was keeping it simple this time.
But truly this was one of the easiest parties I've put together. I'd baked and frozen 2 batches of small buns last week as well as a batch of ham and cheese pinwheels (see the recipe on http://mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com/).


On Friday I cooked a chicken and 1 dozen eggs. My wonderful DIL offered to bake a Chocolate cake with Caramel topping (coming soon to Mennonite Girls Can Cook) and I ordered a cake from "Cakes on Demand" in Sardis. My sister and sister in law came early today to help put the toppings on the buns (chicken salad, egg salad and cream cheese/cucumber) and with a couple of veggie trays from Costco, we had quite the spread.


Our friends from Signature Signs graciously donated a wonderful banner for the wall and I made centerpieces out of dollar store boxes and some of Harv's tools. Harv did his part by building a funky candlelabra out of hydraulic fittings.
I love entertaining. Providing an opportunity for friends and family to meet, enjoy good food and fellowship gives me alot of pleasure. And when it's to celebrate my amazing husband and best friend it's even better.
Harv you are the best - what fun we have together,
how special it is to know that you believe in me,
how grateful I am for your encouragement.
You constantly amaze me with you innovative solutions to problems,
be they mechanical or relational.
You are famous for your generousity to family and friends,
even to strangers.
And I love all the amazing experiences we have shared.
Thank you for choosing me to share your life.
Happy Birthday Honey -
You are truly a classic -
one of a kind and my best friend.










11 comments:

Chris said...

awwww.... that's so sweet. We love you too, Dad, and we're so glad for the times we get to hang out with you. Thanks for being terrific parents...

Anonymous said...

What a precious way to honor your husband! He is a blessed man, and so are your friends. I love your attitude about opening your home so your loved ones can enjoy fellowshipping with each other. Friends and family don't spend as much time together as they should. We are to draw strength and encouragement from our loved ones ... and we are to hold each other accountable through our love for each other.

Judy said...

It looks like a most memorable 60th celebration! I need to be taking notes...as I have a hubby turning 60 this year as well. Happy Birthday, Harv.

Peggy said...

Hi Bev - took a look at your blog this morning, it's wonderful!!!! We had a truly great time yesterday, and it was good to meet with old friends again, as well as honoring Harv, one of the best of friends. I've added your blog to my list that I follow. You'll find me on blogspot at piecefulpeg. Looking forward to getting together soon again.

charlotte mgcc said...

it looks very festive and lovely.
what a nice thing to do for your husband...happy belated b-day.

Lovella ♥ said...

Happy Birthday to Harv. . .it looks like you had really yummy food. . I'm glad you had such a nice time with your closest of friends.

Marg said...

Way to go Bev. What a beautiful tribute you have shared about your husband, not only his 60th birthday, but about your shared love for each other. Congratulations.

Julie said...

oh.. a belated Happy Birthday to Harv!!
It looks like you planned a wonderful celebration - with something wonderful to celebrate!

Anneliese said...

So good to celebrate and honor our loved ones! Sounds like a wonderful time!

Trish said...

What a wonderful spread...and with family it makes a perfect combination. Sorry I am late slipping in to say hello but a belated happy birthday to your hubby.

Janet said...

Hey sis. A beautiful tribute in every way to Harv. We love the way you two love and care for each other. We were so glad to be a part of this great celebration (and experience your model of hospitality!).
Love you,
your sis